Pomba Gira is the classification of an entity, and an entity herself, who is commonly employed and worked with by practitioners of Umbandaand Quimbanda in Brazil. Pomba Gira is viewed as the consort of Exu, who is the messenger of the Orixas in Candomble. Exu is similar in archetype to the greco-roman Hermes/Mercury, in that he is the messenger, businessman, trickster, keeper of roads, keeper of keys, etc. He is associated with the colors red and black, and the number three. He is often depicted as the devil; not in relation to purgatory, but in that he will do things to upset peoples’ lives when they become too smug or complacent.
While Exu manifests and encompasses male sexuality, fertility and strength, she in turn personifies female beauty, sexuality, and desire. Pomba Gira is viewed as a beautiful woman who is insatiable. She is venerated with great respect and care, as her worshippers concede that her wrath can be firm and strong. Pomba Gira is often invoked by those who seek aid in matters of the heart and love.
While some might say that Pomba-Giras only manifest through female or gay mediums, this is not true. Many heterosexual males do incorporate Pomba Gira. Some Pomba Giras do display the characteristics of being promiscuous, talkative and vulgar. However she has many paths or avatars, and will be more or less inclined towards that behaviour depending on the path.
Some paths of Pomba Gira
- Maria Padilha (Queen of the Marys)
- Pomba Gira Cigana (Gypsy Pomba Gira)
- Pomba Gira Rainha (Queen Pomba Gira)
- Pomba Gira Arrepiada (Creeped Pomba Gira)
- Maria Molambo
- Rosa Caveira (Rose Skull, literally)
- Pomba Gira das Sete Encruzilhadas (Pomba Gira of the Seven Crossroads)
- Pomba Gira dos 7 Cruzeiros da Calunga (Pomba Gira of the Seven Crosses of Kalunga)
- Pomba Gira Mirongueira (Enchantress Pomba Gira)
- Maria Quitéria
- Rainha das Rainhas (Queen of Queens)
- Pomba Gira Mocinha (Young Girl Pomba Gira)
- Rainha Sete Encruzilhadas (Queen Seven Crossroads)
- Rainha do Cemitério (Queen of the Graveyard)
- Pomba Gira das Almas (Pomba Gira of the Souls)
- Praia (Beach)
- Dama da Noite (Lady of the Night)
- Pomba Gira Sete Calungas (Pomba Gira Seven Kalungas)
- Maria Mulambo das Sete Catacumbas (literally, Lame Mary of the Seven Tombs)