A FRACTURED SKULL AND A THIGH BONE HACKED IN HALF — FINDS OF DAMAGED HUMAN BONES ALONG WITH AXES, SPEARS, CLUBS AND SHIELDS CONFIRM THAT THE BOG AT ALKEN ENGE WAS THE SITE OF VIOLENT CONFLICT.
‘It’s clear that this must have been a quite far-reaching and dramatic event that must have had profound effect on the society of the time,’ explains Project Manager Mads Kähler Holst, professor of archaeology at Aarhus University.
To me that is an insult.
To me that is like acknowledging that heathen (or pagan) really means “Hick” or “yokl”.
I am always surprised and get kind of a LARP vibe when i read things like “our folk ways”.
Their “indignation” dumbs my customs down. They really have more in common with snake handling Christians (not to be Christian bashing ) than anything that feels “Norse”.
These people belong in a heavy metal video.
I am straight but i am also educated and my mother is not married to her brother.
I belive in active studies (of academic material), a living custom through folklore and adapting to modern society while reconstructing.
In short, i am a modern Scandinavian, NOT some “Viking warrior” with a need to preserve my “folk” (“they”, regardless of how you count, seem to be doing just fine).
I am simply a person doing my best to live according to a custom such as it presents itself through academia, scientific disciplines (history, archeology, anthropology, linguistics,etymology, semiotics and so on ) ,my own culture and folklore and some philosophical and theological speculation on my own part.
Some of them are Scandinavian. I´m willing to bet they stay clear of blóts of a more mainstream (in lack of a better term) nature.
They would be verbally (at least) and intellectually bitch slapped by pretty much any follower of the custom i´ve known.
The only threat i see to Norse culture and heritage are these circus clowns.
How can anyone take heathenry seriously with these around?
A very big part of the “Forn Sed ” blog is to by spreading historically correct information counteract all the viking idiocy that still festers in the modern mind:
- Racist “aryan” poppycock.
- Heavy Metal EEEEEAVIL vikings.
- The “My ancestors where Klingons” complex (lame “neo-vikings”, what i call “vikingry”).
- The belief that all Norse people worked as “vikings”.
- The belief that “viking” is my (or other nordic peoples) ethnicity.
- All Christianity influenced / modern ethnocentric interpretation of Heathenry.
- The belief that all Asatruar / heathens dislike Christians (or Jews or Mulims).
- The idea that all heathens do, or ever did historically, share opinions or methods.
- The idea that there are no gay or transgendered heathens.
- The idea that vikings where more fierce, braver, more savage or in other ways different than other mediaval Europeans.
- The stupid and OH so incorrect idea that vikings or any other Germanic people kept to themselves trying to “preserve” something.
- The naive idea that heathens take their mythology litterally.
and much, much more.
Norse history and culture (and most who read this will have Germanic heritage, even many African / Americans, and you read it in a Germanic language) is far too interesting to be made into fairy tales or hijacked by retards.
One is called Bragi: he is renowned for wisdom, and most of all for fluency of speech and skill with words. He knows most of skaldship, and after him skaldship is called bragr, and from his name that one is called bragr-man or -woman, who possesses eloquence surpassing others, of women or of men. His wife is Iðunn.
In Skáldskaparmál Snorri writes:
How should one periphrase Bragi? By calling him husband of Iðunn, first maker of poetry, and the long-bearded god (after his name, a man who has a great beard is called Beard-Bragi), and son of Odin.